So far, I’m pleased with the welcome I’ve received to this massively open online course (MOOC) E-Learning and Digital Cultures. It’s almost as if the course was designed by digital natives.
Along with the usual course welcome page there was also a “How to Study EDCMOOC” page that addressed the common problem of “This course is out of control! I can’t keep up!” and offered these specific tips:
- Read selectively: you are not expected to engage with every single area of course content
- Choose one or two media streams only to focus on: you can’t be everywhere at once
- Let go of the notion of ‘being on top of things’ – this is also impossible – instead, enjoy the serendipity of the random encounter
- Relax, select, investigate, think, write when it makes sense to write, and write in a space that you enjoy
- Forget traditional online teaching methods: there are around 17,000 people on this course, only 5 teachers and 8 Community Teaching Assistants
and this video:
I already feel more at home.