Technology humanizing the classroom

I had heard of Khan Academy as an example of open content, but hadn’t familiarized myself with it. Then I downloaded the iPad app and watched this video. And loved it.

Here are some highlights:
  • The counterintuitive benefit of flipping the classroom is that it humanizes the learning experience. Rather than a whole class of students having to sit still and attentive (in a traditional lecture,) prohibited from interacting with those around them, students are instead interacting with each other and the teacher in the classroom.
  • Customary education isn’t concerned with mastery, only passing. It penalizes experimentation and failure. Flipped classrooms have the potential to change this, encouraging and empowering students to fully master the material by experimenting, at their own pace, and learning from failure.
  • Rather than using student to teacher ratio as a benchmark, why not use student to valuable human time with the teacher ratio as the appropriate educational benchmark?

Interestingly, I paused and rewound the video several times to write this post about it before I noticed the transcription below the video that allows you to go directly to a specific point in the presentation. (I had been viewing the talk full screen.)

• The advantage of video learning is that you can pause and rewind to go back over topics until you grasp them. To do this while a person is instructing you is embarrassing, no matter how kind and patient the instructor is.
How can we utilize video and online learning at the college level, to increase interaction among students and faculty, and flip our classrooms?